Michael is a lineage holding Dharma teacher in the Buddhist tradition of Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh. He lived as a monk for seven years in Plum Village, France, and has worked intimately with Thich Nhat Hanh and the monastic community to organize, support and offer meditation retreats around the world. A skilled musician, he informally studied voice training and chanting of several European and Asian traditions and served for several years as an English language chant master in the monastery. Michael also studies and practices in the tradition of Anthroposophy, begun by Rudolf Steiner. He finds great joy weaving together these two wonderful paths guided by two marvelous and awakened human beings.
After leaving the monastery in 2003, Michael returned to the US and along with his wife Fern Dorresteyn, has helped to establish an intentional spiritual community and mindfulness center in Southern New Hampshire known as MorningSun. In addition to supporting the life and practice of MorningSun, Michael’s practice offerings are many:
- Guiding workshops and retreats in mindfulness practice and meditation around the country;
- Actively developing tools and programs for mindful parenting and family life;
- Dharma consultations, mentoring, and conflict mediation;
- Support and facilitation of blessings and ceremonies for sacred and important times of transition (such as baby blessings, marriages, blessing a new or sacred space, and ceremonies for the deceased).
- Sharing meditation, music and chanting through CD’s and workshops for “Opening the Voice”
If you are not able to attend one of Michael’s upcoming events, (https://truemiddleway.org/events/) or are not near to one, contact Michael (https://truemiddleway.org/contactandscheduling/) to begin organizing one in your area.